Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Gettin' What I deserve (Finally!)

Almost every Tuesday during supervision, my on-site supervisor tells me in one way or another that he is very pleased with all that I have done during my short time as an intern. The joy that this brings me, I cannot explain. After two or three years of working under people who do not appreciate what I do or how well I do it, it is beyond nice to get the professional validation I have been craving!! My supervisor has a PH.D, has been a licenced psychologist for almost 20 years, and has been working in the mental health field almost as long as I've been alive. It never ceases to amaze me that someone who, by rights, could treat me as if I know nothing treats me like a respected collegue and my supervisor at work, who has a bachelors and almost no clinical experience, treats me like I know nothing.

2 comments:

sajmom said...

Yay for you!! It's really great to find someone you respect who thinks you're great too. (I met mine for a year while I was in Florida) Enjoy it, people like that seem to be few and far between.

ADP said...

They sure are few & far between. Make sure you are one of them Laura whenever opportunity comes your way. Because we humans need feedback, whether it is good or bad. I believe there is a connection between being stingy with money and being stingy with positive feedback & praise for good work. The only exception is when someone manipulates the system to get out of paying more and you usually can pick that up right away (the falseness).