Thursday, October 18, 2007
Decorating Chinese style
Inspired by Bridget Jones, I have decided to maybe try some Feng Shui. I am making this post red because that is such a lucky color in feng shui. So I was researching it and I mapped my room out. My toilet is located in my helpful people/travel corner (interestingly enough, in the apt my toilet was in the Knowledge corner- no wonder Liberty didn't work out!). My bed is located in several sectors: the knowlege, Family/health, and Career sections. Not quite sure what the interpretation could be for that. And the only thing in my Wealth section is my tv. and maybe one of the doors. Does anyone know what the significance of that would be? The Relationship/Romance section is where I have my desk, computer and bookshelves. They suggest using the colors pink and red (at the moment my red vacuum cleaner is in this corner), having pairs of things (does my pair of computer speakers count?), and having pictures of loved ones (I do have pictures of friends and family here already) I also read that peonies are supposed to help with love. So I changed my computer wallpaper to a pair of peonies. I also read that lucky bambo is supposed to be able to help in several areas- the area depends on how many sticks you have. I have one lucky bambo plant in my Fame/reputation area which has five sticks in it- five sticks is supposed to help with health.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Interesting post Laura. I didn't know red was a lucky color. So what are the fixes for your toilet being in the helpful ppl/travel corner? I'll have to look that one up. Maybe the interpretation for a door being in your wealth section means that the door can opened to wealth? According to the book I have, "Move your stuff, change your life", the tv should be used as a fire symbol.
In the relationship corner--she suggests sticking things like valentines up. I'm going to quote here cause it's easier, "...and walk over to your relationship corner. How does it feel? Loving? Probably not, or you'd be out on a date instead of reading this book. Focus your energy on this very special corner, carefully decorate it, and think loving thoughts. Then loving things will naturally happen in your life."
Power tools for the relationship corner--mirrors, candles (they generate heat), fresh flowers (even dandelions), pink things, anything red, undergarments (quote--"Does this really need an explanation?", sensual sounds, and symbols that mean love to you (I.E. barbie and ken, fireworks, animal print material, bride & groom wedding cake decoration, two of just about anything), it's really what those things mean to you. Anyway, it's late, I'm going to stop here, have to get up for work tomorrow.
Feng Shui is one of many things that claims to change your life by performing certain acts, changing around superficial stuff. Really, moving things into certain corners of your room, or whatever, is just a pretense for getting you to focus your willpower on what you want in life. It's all about how intently you're focusing on it.
I don't know-I sit somewhere in the middle of those two. While I do believe that most of the power is actually in focusing your attention and willpower on your problems and a change in attitude, I am willing to leave room in there for other posibilities. I mean, does it not seem significant that in my house there is a toilet in the prosperity corner, and the sections for romance and Children&Creativity are both partially missing?! (This does not indicate a lack of children by the way, in my case I think there are things lacking in my relationship with my children and I have no way to use my creativity-a desparate need for me!) The fact that the biggest problem areas in my life correspond with feng shui beliefs about my house does give me pause.
A door in the wealth section could probably go either way depending......it could also be a quick pathway for the wealth (chi also) to exit. Or come and go. They'd probably say you should put something there to stop the energy from flowing right out the door.
Post a Comment